Photographed IDs, Fabricated Images, and Selfie Spoofing Prevail in Document-Based Identity Theft

The increasing prevalence of identity document fraud, especially in today’s digital landscape, has made it essential for the implementation of advanced verification systems to thwart fraudulent activities. As of 2023, the most prevalent method of such fraud was the “document image-of-image” technique, identified in 63% of all rejected IDs. This type of fraud involves using a photograph or a screenshot of an ID instead of a direct capture, allowing for easy manipulation or alteration.

Another significant threat is “selfie spoofing,” where fraudsters use a printed paper or another document as their selfie. This tactic is commonly used to steal identities or gain unauthorized access to systems, often exploiting public social media profiles to find images that match stolen IDs.

Socure, a leading company in digital identity verification, sanctions screening, and fraud prevention, has reported that ID fraud accounts for 70% of all fraudulent verifications, with the remaining 30% related to biometric discrepancies, such as impersonations or mismatches between the ID photo and the verification selfie. This type of fraud has severe implications across various sectors, including online gaming, marketplaces, lending, and credit cards. Notably, individuals aged 50 and above are particularly vulnerable due to their greater assets and often lower familiarity with technology, making them prime targets for scams.

Regions such as Idaho and New Hampshire have the highest rates of verification rejections due to document fraud. Conversely, states like Florida, Texas, and Georgia experience significant issues with out-of-state verifications, where fraud rates nearly double when the device’s location used for account creation does not match the state on the submitted ID document.

The expansion of the digital economy and social media has significantly increased opportunities for fraudsters, highlighting the urgent need for robust, AI-powered cybersecurity measures to protect against identity document fraud in our increasingly digital world. Additionally, the rising instances of identity document fraud have compelled  cybersecurity firms to deploy advanced verification systems to combat these fraudulent activities.